As promised, today we begin our series of in depth articles about the legalization of medical marijuana state-by-state. There are now 22 states plus DC where use of cannabis for medical reasons has been approved for qualified patients and fifteen more states with pending legislation or ballot measures.
Some of these are shown in the map above but the situation is rapidly changing. As the list of articles is updated, a click on the relevant link in the list below will take you straight to the information for that particular state.
22 States where Medical Marijuana is Legal
- Alaska: 1 oz usable; 6 plants (3 mature, 3 immature)
- Arizona: 2.5 oz usable; 0-12 plants
- California: 8 oz usable; 18 plants (6 mature, 12 immature)
- Colorado: 2 oz usable; 6 plants (3 mature, 3 immature)
- Connecticut: One month supply
- Delaware: 6 oz usable
- Hawaii: 3 oz usable; 7 plants (3 mature, 4 immature)
- Illinois: 2.5 ounces of usable cannabis during a period of 14 days
- Maine: 2.5 oz usable; 6 plants
- Massachusetts: 60 day supply of marijuana
- Michigan: 2.5 oz usable; 12 plants
- Montana: 1 oz usable; 6 plants
- Nevada: 1 oz usable; 7 plants (3 mature, 4 immature)
- New Hampshire: Two ounces of usable cannabis during a 10-day period
- New Jersey: 2 oz usable
- New Mexico: 6 oz usable; 16 plants (4 mature, 12 immature)
- Oregon: 24 oz usable; 24 plants (6 mature, 18 immature)
- Rhode Island: 2.5 oz usable; 12 plants
- Vermont: 2 oz usable; 9 plants (2 mature, 7 immature)
- Washington State: 24 oz usable; 15 plants
States where Medical Marijuana is Under Consideration
States where Medical Marijuana is Illegal
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Once you know whether it is legal to use Medical Marijuana in your state. The next step is to get a Medical Marijuana card and then you will be able to purchase Cannabis from legal marijuana dispensaries.
Please join in the discussion on medical marijuana state laws at our forum.