Marijuana Related Penalties in Ohio
- Possession of less than 100gms of marijuana is a citable offense: fine $150
- Possession of more than 100gms of marijuana: maximum fine $250
- Possession of 200gms or more of marijuana: possible 6 months to 1 year in prison
- Possession of 1,00gms or more of marijuana: 1 to 5 years in prison
Any possession of less than 500gms does not carry the presumption of prison; this makes probation a possibility for such offenses.
- Possession of 20,000gms or more of marijuana: mandatory prison sentence of 8 years
Delivery and Sale of Marijuana
- Delivery of 20gms or less of marijuana for no remuneration: considered as a possession offense and carries a fine of $1000
- Sale or distribution of less than 200gms of marijuana: 6 to 18 months in jail
- Sale or distribution of 200gms or more of marijuana: 1-5 years in jail
- Sale or distribution of 600gms or more of marijuana: mandatory minimum sentence of six months in jail with a possible 2-8 years jail sentence
- Sale to minors, within 1,000 feet of a school, within 100 feet of a juvenile and previous felony drug convictions: penalty for sale or distribution of marijuana increased
Possession and Sale of Marijuana Paraphernalia
- Possession of marijuana paraphernalia is punishable by up to 30 days in jail
- Sale of marijuana paraphernalia is punishable by up to 90 days in jail
For all drug convictions, the offender’s driver’s license is also suspended for a period of 6 months – 5 years. Professional licenses are also suspended.
Medical Marijuana in Ohio: Current Situation (November 2010)
On Saturday November 14 there was a gathering on the courthouse steps in Dayton to push for legalization of medical marijuana within the state of Ohio. Demonstrators were calling for the passage of Housebill 478 – the medical marijuana bill introduced in March, which is still with the state’s health committee. It is hoped that the Bill will be put to the vote this month.
If you want to get involved in the Ohio medical marijuana movement, check out Ohioans for Medical Marijuana.