medical-marijuana-new-mexicoCannabis for medical use in New Mexico was approved via Senate Bill 523 “The Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act” on Mar. 13, 2007. The law became effective on July 1, 2007.

The law removes state-level criminal penalties on the use and possession of marijuana by patients “in a regulated system for alleviating symptoms caused by debilitating medical conditions and their medical treatments.”

The New Mexico Department of Health was designated to administer the program and register patients, caregivers, and providers.

Conditions Approved for Use of Medical Marijuana in New Mexico

  • Severe chronic pain
  • Painful peripheral neuropathy
  • Intractable nausea/vomiting
  • Severe anorexia/cachexia
  • Hepatitis C infection
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with intractable spasticity
  • Epilepsy
  • Hospice patients

Cannabis Quantities Allowed

Possession/Cultivation: Patients have the right to possess up to six ounces of usable cannabis, four mature plants and 12 seedlings.

In New Mexico, usable cannabis is defined as dried leaves and flowers; it does not include seeds, stalks or roots. A primary caregiver may provide services to a maximum of four qualified patients under the Medical Cannabis Program.

Application information can be obtained from:

New Mexico Department of Health

1190 St. Francis Drive
P.O. Box 26110
Santa Fe, NM 87502-6110
Phone: 505-827-2321

Medical Marijuana and Vets in New Mexico

12 Feb 2010 New Condition Added

Full details of how to get a medical marijuana card in New Mexico.

Back to Medical Marijuana state laws


Join the discussion 18 Comments

  • mariah says:

    Okay so my name is Mariah and I’m 16, gonna be 17 In April and I have anxiety,deppresion, but what I’d really need the card for is because I can’t eat unless I’m high, without being high I won’t eat for a few days. When i try to force myself to eat I always feel like I’m gonna throw up so I don’t eat because I don’t wanna throw up. Do you think I would be able to get a card with my guardians consent?

    • Deven says:

      They give it out for eating disorders, you need 3 symptoms to qualify, I’m pretty sure with parents consent you’d be able to receive your card. Remember, it costs 450-500$ for a Minor.

    • ed says:

      go to zia health they can help call 505-299-7873

  • Juan says:

    Anyone who Is a nm card holder beware of dispensaries that are only in it for the money like Minerva canna group that likes to sell there patients medication that is in flushed and has mold u will get sick

  • KMK_srh_420 says:

    I have ADHD and A dislocated shoulder which is messing with my spine… nd i can feel it… nd marijuana is the only the drug that helps with all that.. .ive taken everything they give for ADHD nd marijuana is the only thing that helps… Would I be able to get a card?

  • angelo says:

    I wanted to say i am getting ssi for being a baby born on drugs and methadone, and now that i am older i smoke pot from depression. I dont use goverment drugs or hard drugs. Think they will pass me? so i wont use hard drugs in my life.

  • Ruben says:

    hey i have anxiety,insomnia,depression, and stress and im 16 years old and wonder if i would qualify for a medical marijuana card with parents consent if you have any info let me know i live in, New Mexico.

  • Bren says:

    Dr. Nardacci is a practicing medical cannabis doctor in Albuquerque, New Mexico where patients get recommendations for legal medical marijuana.

    We are not a referral service. We do all the required certification paperwork for you to get your Medical Marijuana card, and patient grower’s card. All your information is kept strictly confidential. Specialist referrals provided, when necessary.

    If you suffer from any of the 16 current qualifying conditions for medical marijuana, and standard treatments have not provided sufficient relief, schedule a medical marijuana evaluation with Dr. Nick Nardacci.

    • Wendy says:

      My Name is Wendy and I have been needing info on the medical marijauna card.

      I was diagnoised with fibromyalgia four years ago and have degeneration in discs in my neck. I am a senior and have a small income but need to know the costs for an appointment to get my card. Are there also state or federal fees?

      Please let me know the cost and if your office can help me. I have ne insurance and only use a local rural clinic which cannot assist in getting the card or giving me further info. Wendy

    • tony says:

      So is there an age limit on the use of medical marijuana or does it just depend on the condition?

    • emma says:

      Are there any other practicing medical cannibus doctors besides Dr. Nardacci in Albuquerque that can help us?

  • Tamara Stacey says:

    I live in constant pain with degenerative disc disease, along with PTSD and I wake up feeling like I want to throw up even though I have a prescribtion for stomach meds which don’t work! I wish to talk to someone who can help me please.

  • Anji says:

    I’m just happy that the WORLD finally is getting it.

    Not ALL of them but some are getting relief from pain and depression be it simple as oh shall I say HERB . God only knows how many out their suffered WITHOUT and have lost their LIVES over PAIN, Physical, Mental, Emotional issues.

    God only knows these people MITE BE HERE TODAY if people would just open thier EARS-SHUT THEIR MOUTHS -AND walk (((( 1 )))) DAY in a SUFFERS SHOES, when it IS as simple as a HERB , to make life SO much more comfortable ,for the process of life is a JOY of being BORN You are Comforted , CAN DIEING NOT BE COMFORTABLE ALSO…..COMFORTABLE …… WHO MAKES THAT DECISION…..

    God Help Us All Who Suffer AND GOD HIMSELF KNOWS THIS MIND AND BODY that I have DOES SUFFER … BUT I DO NOT LIVE IN a green zone. Good people I have known with lot’s of life and great minds …suffered HORRID DEATHS .

    NO COMFORT .My last word is COMPASSION………….

  • Daddysen says:

    I have run into a road block in trying to aquire my card so that i can obtain my medicine.

    My Doctor while sympathertic to my conition is not allowed to recommend Medical Cannabis because the office he works for will not allow him. He suggested i find someone with a private practice as they will have more freedom concerning these situations.

    So my problem is Private practices that are sympathetic to Medical Cannabis can’t really advertise and i am not going to “Doctor shop” as I feel that wrong and i don’t want to be lumbed in with the group that Doctors refer to as “Med seeking Addicts”.

    I am 33 years old and I have Chronic pain from arthritis in my right knee from a car accident i got into about 7 years ago. I have had 3 surgeries and have nerve damage as well. I am taking Tramadol because My liver has been damaged from taking LorTabs for so long that i am at risk of futher complicating things if i continue to take Meds that are hard on my liver.

    What should I do? Is there a place i can go to find out who will be able to help me?

  • je byrnes says:

    i am trying to link with dispensaries to get them set up to take credit card payments. i have finally found a bank that will approve true and legal dispensaries. seems to me everyone would benefit.

  • chance says:

    I have allways wanted to be a marijuana grower but have had a hard time to find the right people to talk to about the issue.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.