michigan-medical-marijuanaCannabis for medical use in Michigan was approved by 63% of voters on November 4, 2008 and became effective on December 4, 2008. Full details are contained in the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.

The act removed state-level criminal penalties on the use, possession and cultivation of marijuana by patients who have been diagnosed by a physician as having a debilitating medical condition.

Important Note: You do not need to have one of the Specific Medical Conditions listed in Statute to be considered a qualified medical marijuana patient. The Statute also protects patients who use marihuana to treat the symptoms of any chronic or debilitating medical condition, or to alleviate symptoms or side effects caused by any therapy or other treatment option prescribed by your primary physician for that condition.

For example, if you suffer from depression and your physician prescribes a medication to treat the depression, and that medication causes muscle aches and spasms, or it makes you nauseated, then you would qualify as a patient with a listed condition (muscle spasms, nausea), to choose medical marijuana as a treatment option.

To find out if your condition applies, contact the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association

New conditions can be specified in the future. Rule 333.131 requires the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) to have a procedure for accepting petitions from the public to include additional medical conditions and treatments. The procedure must include public notice of hearings on each petition, opportunities for public input, and a reasonable timeline (180 days) for approval or denial.

Conditions Approved for Registry with the Medical Marijuana Program in Michigan

  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • HIV
  • AIDS
  • Hepatitis C
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Agitation of Alzheimer’s disease
  • Nail patella
  • Cachexia or wasting syndrome
  • Severe and chronic pain
  • Severe nausea
  • Seizures
  • Epilepsy
  • Muscle spasms
  • Multiple sclerosis

Cannabis Quantities Allowed

Possession/Cultivation: Patients may possess up to two and one-half (2.5) ounces of usable marijuana and twelve marijuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility.

The twelve plants may be kept by the patient only if he or she has not specified a primary caregiver to cultivate the marijuana for him or her.

Registration with the Michigan Medical Marihuana costs $100 or $25 for Medicaid patients and contact details are below:

Michigan Medical Marihuana Program
Bureau of Health Professions, Department of Community Health
611 W. Ottawa St.
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone: 517-373-6873


MI Medical Marihuana Program

Full details on how to get a medical marijuana card in Michigan.

Return to medical marijuana state-laws


Join the discussion 18 Comments

  • mcdizzle says:

    So how old do you have to be to have a medical marijuana card? Because I have scoliosis

  • SomeCracka says:

    yoyo alex!, if you want a card it very simple. Since your 17 you will have to get parental aproval for your cirtificaiton.

    I have developed a plan for you:
    1. the time while your 17 get diagnosed with somesort of ailment (Mi allows cirtification for symptoms).
    2. Once diagnosed, you will have to gain Mi residency. This takes 6 months of living in MI.
    3. 6 Mo. later apply for a new licence or have proof of residency (Bring to appointment).
    4. Get 200-250 dollars
    5.Call a clinic (make appointment).
    6.Talk to the doctor
    7. Pay (if you qualify)
    8. Walk out witha smile on ur face.
    (Steps 1-3 can be taken out if you have a diagnosis and reside in a MMJ state.

    • christina says:

      What i really want to know is once the doctor sends the state ur approval and they send you your new card in the mail, does that envelope they send it in say anything about medical marijuana on it or does it just look like an envelope from the secretary of state?

      My mom would freak so i want to know that. Also i was wandering how long it usually takes to get the card in the mail?

  • Alex says:

    Hey guys, I would appreciate if some of you could help me with these questions, I am 17 from Illinois, however my family owns a place in Michigan I personally do not have state residency too Michigan. My questions are:

    1) Is there anyway I can get a card if I’m not a resident although my family owns valid property?
    2) Would I have to wait till 18 if it is even possible?

  • Serafina says:

    What about being a care giver?

    My mom has metastatic breast cancer, feels ill from her chemo and has pain where it is in her bines. She is too embarrassed to obtain a card, and she is a bit agorophobic aswell, which makes it difficult to even get her prescriptions from the pharmacy.

    Could I get a card so I csn provide her this medicine?

  • Janis Lixey says:

    I do have a card.

    But my question is: Where can you take your medicine can I smoke on my property or in my backyard?

    And if I am in my home taking the medicine and if my next door neighbor said something to me about it-what do I say?

    I live on a 1/4 of acre.thanks

    • Stacie says:

      I know someone that is trying to figure how to get a growers card and does not know how to go about it. Is there any chance to have any information that you could share on how to go about getting it?

  • kyle says:

    So only 2.5 oz possession? But, 12 twelve plants, even indoors will produce more than 2.5 oz??? so what does this mean, you can grow 18 oz but only travel with 2.5?? im confused

  • Matt says:

    Good to see quality blogs out there discussing the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. Unfortunately, a lot of uncertainty remains within the law itself.


  • clint says:

    my question is do i have to be a residant of a legal state to get a cannabis license? or can i go to a state get it and use it in another state?

  • DragonBudz says:

    DR. B, in response to your question(s),

    Currently Kentucky is not a legally recognized state for medical marijuana. As each state requires you to be a resident of the state to obtain a legal card for the state, its not likely that you will be able to obtain a card while living in kentucky, at least not through normal means.

    In response to your second question, no state with legal medical cannabis allows you to cross state lines with marijuana. Each state has individual interpretations of the law, and certain states cards may not work in other states, even if they have legalized marijuana for medicinal use. For example, the Michigan Medical Marijuana cards only provide for use in Michigan, California, and Florida but none of the other 11 legal states.

  • Paul says:

    There’s no doubting the medical benefits provided by medical marijuana. The legal environment here in Michigan is still changing constantly and can be hard to determine exactly. Can the federal government still come after you?

    This blog does a very good job of providing basic information, if you want to learn more, visit http://www.michiganlawattorney.com for additional information on Michigan Medical Marijuana.

  • Elena says:

    Chronic pain falls withing the acceptible diagnosis for Medical Marijuana. If you want specific info regarding whether you qualify consult you state law on this.

    For Michigan people contact http://www.m4-c.com and Dr. Mitchell Cohn can help you determine if you qualify.

    Good luck!

  • DR B says:

    I have rheumatoid artheritis with scoliosis needless to say “chronic pain”. I am fifty now and working less because of above conditions.

    I live in ky and wondering what my steps are to obtain card for med. marijuana

    With a card can i drive to dispensary and cross state lines legally with medical marijuana?

  • Denbee says:

    I have used cannabis for almost 40 years as a treatment for seizures. I am a Vietnam vet and I developed a brain tumor a year after I discharged from the army. The tumor (pinealoma) was to deep to operate (1971) so a ventricular shunt was implanted to relieve the pressure in my brain and I also had 5 weeks of radiation treatments.

    I was told I would need to be on an anti-seizure medicines dilantin and phenobarbatol the rest of my life. I could not tolerate those meds and contiunue school at the same time so after some research at the library on seizures I discovered that some people were using cannabis as a seizure prevention drug and having experience with cannabis while in Vietnam I was fimilar with it’s mind quieting effects so I tried it instead.

    Long story made short, I have had only two seizures since my surgery, both during periods where I could not obtain cannabis.
    So for almost 40 years I have used cannabis twice a day, after work and an hour before bedtime (insomnia). Now I would like to be able to come out of the closet somewhat but I wonder if my doctor would simply put me back on dilantin and phenobarb if I were to ask him for a cannabis recommendation.

    Would I qualify for a cannabis recommendation?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.