Measure 80Measure 80

Someone is definitely stirring the waters in Oregon because rumors about legalizing pot through a legislation called Measure 80 are appearing to be true. However, we will have to wait for the November election to get a definite confirmation on that. In essence, Measure 80 would allow anyone who is over 21 to legally obtain pot from a local dispensary, regardless of whether they have a medical condition or not. And that sounds wonderful because that would finally mean that everyone could finally be at ease with their dealers.

And no, according to our recent post weed consumption doesn’t go up if its legalized.

Boost Medical Resarch

However, weed legalization doesn’t just open doors to jail-free puffing in the park. Measure 80 could boost medical marijuana research to an unbelievable extent. For instance, at this moment, if you want to legally grow marijuana for the purpose of medicinal research, you have to obtain a permit from several different government agencies. And, if you’re not well connected within the political realm, chances of you obtaining all of those permits are close to none. If you think about it, it’s the prohibition of marijuana that makes it so profitable in the first place.

Taxed Weed

If you legalize it, it becomes taxable and monitored for quality, which is actually a pretty good thing. Plus, its price gets knocked down because it just became available on a mass scale so street prices no longer apply. In all honesty, it’s a win-win situation. If all goes well, the country would get a 90% cut of the products sales and the other 10% would be invested in research and drug educations. But that’s not where the exploitation of this wonderful plant ends because marijuana can be used for production of other goods as well.

Dalotto & Burban

Two of the most avid advocates of Measure 80 are Todd Dalotto, president of CAN! Resarch, Education and Consulting and Sandee Burbank, the executive head honcho at Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse. Dalotto is a long time cannabis connoisseur and a passionate marijuana horticulturalist. His motives are obvious; he wants more extensive research on the plant, which is why he consistently emphasizes the advantages of marijuana legalization, making it clear that the plant can be used for production of fabric and rope as well. Plus, it’s a taxable product, which, if legalized, can become a massive export advantage for the state of Oregon.

Mrs. Burbank agrees with Dalotto and claims marijuana should’ve been legalized ages ago, because tobacco and alcohol are two far more dangerous drugs than marijuana will ever be. Naturally, legalization would be a tremendous challenge for the federal government, considering the fact that the regulation of the product alone would give the feds a couple of severe headaches. However, in this particular case, the benefits would easily outweigh the effort put into legalization.


Author Mark Levins

More posts by Mark Levins

Join the discussion One Comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.