Back in May of this year we posted a fairly in-depth article about medical marijuana and migraine. Well, with the migraine gene having reportedly been discovered, this desperately painful medical condition is once again in the news.
An international study has found a single gene, named TRESK, appears to be the cause of all the pain and nausea. It is believed that TRESK controls the sensitivity of pain receptors in the brain, sometimes bringing the pain threshold so low that most everything hurts. Now you know why migraine makes you so sensitive to light, sound and touch. The good news is, now we know the gene exists, we can apparently switch it on and off, thereby not just masking the pain with traditional pain killers but actually removing it completely – making it just not happen.
For many migraine sufferers this is a life-changing discovery. Sadly, however, we’re looking at around a decade before we can expect the pharmaceutical companies to sell us medications to switch our migraine susceptibility off. In the meantime, there is medical marijuana.
Indicas seem to offer the best protection, although sativas are reported by some to give partial protection; that is, they lessen the pain to headache level rather than remove it completely. Others report that Sativa types actually sharpen the pain. This follows my ‘grand theory’ that certain personalities are better suited to particular types of weed. If you can stand to eat (the gut slows down or stops working completely in the throes of a migraine attack) then you will probably find that cannabis edibles are the better option for migraineurs.
Marijuana Strains for Migraine
The following strains are known to help migraine sufferers. However, weed and people are infinite in their variety, so you need to keep an open mind in the search for the medical marijuana that works for your migraine.
- Bonzo Bud
- Fire OG
- Green Spirit x Timewarp x Herijuana
- Ice Princess x Bubblegum
- Lemon Chemo
- Magic Crystal
- Sensi Star
- Shiskaberry x Dutch Treat
- Skunk #1 (onset only)
- Sour Bubble BX3
Marijuana for Migraine Studies
The following links have been taken from Granny Storm Crow’s MMJ 2010 List
- CANNABIS AND MARINOL IN THE TREATMENT OF MIGRAINE HEADACHE
- Dronabinol reduces signs and symptoms of idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency
- Hemp for Headache
- Chronic Migraine Headache
- Cannabis for Migraine Treatment: Once and Future Treatment?
- Cannabinoids block release of serotonin from platelets induced by plasma from migraine patients
- Migraine may be related to under production of cannabinoids
- Cluster Attacks Responsive to Recreational Cannabis and Dronabinol
- Inhaled Cannabis Aborts Cluster Headaches, Journal Reports