There are thousands of marijuana strains, with more being bred. Many of these types of marijuana are obscure only known by a select few. All of these have some medical benefit to the user.
There are two main categories of weed:
1) Sativa – Gives you a high, uplifting feeling and a general sense of well being. The effects are more cerebral and less feeling of being stoned within your body.
It can be used to treat Multiple Sclerosis and Epilepsy.
Durban Poison Cannabis and Haze Marijuana are excellent Sativa marijuana strains.
2) Indica – Provide a pleasant body stoned sensation.
It is commonly used for depression, anxiety, pain relief and Insomnia.
Northern Lights marijuana and White Widow are considered to be among the best Indica Cannabis strains.
There are also strains which are a combination of Indica and Sativa.
To find out more about the differences between these categories of weed visit our Sativa vs Indica post.
Here is a short list of the popular strains and what conditions they can be used to treat:
- White Widow Weed – Depression, Anxiety, Reduced Appetite , Cachexia, Hepatitis C and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Ak 47 Weed – Pain Relief, Stress, Nausea, Depression, Insomnia, Headache
- Blueberry Marijuana – Chronic pain, Arthralgia, Muscle pain, Diarrhea, Muscle spasm, Insomnia, Emotional lability, AIDS, Nausea, Gastrointestinal disorder, Anorexia, Depressive disorder and Anxiety.
It can be difficult to work out which weed strain you should use to treat your condition.
There can be several different strains which can be used to help you with your ailment or you may have multiple medical conditions. In this case it may be necessary to smoke more than one strain. Also you may build up a resistance to a particular strain, so varying the types of marijuana can be effective.
Your marijuana doctor is the best person to help you choose the right type of marijuana or an experienced budtender can potentially help. Make sure you find out the background of the budtender to see whether they are in a position of authority to give advice on medical marijuana strains.
Our medical conditions page has recommendations of which strains to use to treat particular conditions.
Please have your say on which marijuana strains should be used to treat particular conditions at our forum.
If you would like to grow your own marijuana we can highly recommend usig a grow box.