If you wish to possess or use marijuana for medical use in Colorado, you must obtain a Medical Marijuana Registry identification card from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
If you are over 18 years of age, applications must be made using the Marijuana Registry Application Packet.
You will need to be a patient, as current waiting times are:
|Rejections||Within four to six weeks|
|New/renewal cards||Within four to five months|
|Changes/Replacements||Within four to six months|
During that waiting period, the law states:
“where the state health agency, within thirty-five days of receipt of an application, fails to issue a registry identification card or fails to issue verbal or written notice of denial of such application, the patient’s application for such card will be deemed to have been approved.”
“ A patient who is questioned by any state or local law enforcement official about his or her medical use of marijuana shall provide a copy of the application submitted to the state health agency, including the written documentation and proof of the date of mailing or other transmission of the written documentation for delivery to the state health agency, which shall be accorded the same legal effect as a registry card, until such time as the patient receives notice that the application has been denied.”
So basically, provided you have documentary evidence of your application and the date it was made, this can be used until your card arrives or until your application is denied.
The registry is returning a large number of application packets and change requests due to easily preventable mistakes, the following checklist will help you to avoid this happening to you:
- Include a legible photocopy of your Colorado driver’s license or ID.
- Include a legible photocopy of your care-giver’s Colorado driver’s license or ID (if you are naming a care-giver).
- Use BLUE ink when completing the Change of Address or Care-giver form.
- The Change of Address or Care-giver Form must be sent within ten days of the event.
- Signatures of patients must be notarized.
- The care-giver can not be the notary.
- Use the current version of application and other forms.
- Be sure to sign your check or money order.
- Be sure your check or money order is for the proper amount ($90).
- The check or money order may only be for one patient.
- Forms must be submitted by the patient, not the care-giver or dispensary.
- The application packet must include:
- The application form
- Physician’s Certification
- Copy of patient’s and care-giver’s ID’s
- Payment of $90 fee.
All items in the application packet (see #12 above) must be sent to the Registry at the same time and in one envelope. The Registry can not match items sent separately.
Incomplete application packets will be rejected. Rejected packets will be returned to the patient.
Completed paperwork should be sent to:Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Medical Marijuana Registry HSVRD-MMP-A1 4300 Cherry Creek Drive South Denver Colorado 80246-1530