What is a Tincture?
A tincture is an alcoholic extract of plant material and, when prepared properly, a potent source of a plant’s essential constituents. As a method of using medicinal cannabis it excels as the cannabinoids dissolve in alcohol or oily materials.
There are several advantages to using a tincture:
- It is a good method of cannabis administration for non-smokers
- Tinctures are very potent
- When kept in cool darkness, tinctures have a long shelf-life because the alcohol acts as a preservative
- A full spectrum of the plant’s active ingredients are made available
- You can combine various strains to get exactly the right balance for your needs
- Tinctures can be used discreetly wherever you might be.
Making your Marijuana Tincture
Ingredients and Equipment
- 4oz clean cannabis leaves
- Alcohol of your choice – must be 80% or above and vodka is good but you can use whichever you wish
- 2L warm water
- Glass bowls
- Coffee filter papers
- Glass jars or bottles for storage
- Cover the cannabis leaves with the water
- Stir to ensure that all the leaves are wet. Cut or torn cannabis leaves can be used, it’s just less work to keep them whole
- Strain through the colander – the green in the water is mostly chlorophyll so you can throw it away safe in the knowledge that you’re not missing anything
- Place the still wet leaves into the glass bowl and cover with alcohol, giving it a quick stir to ensure all is mixed well and all the leaves are under the alcohol
- Cover the bowl and put it somewhere dark (inside a cupboard is just fine) for 48 hours or so
- Remove the cover and leave for the alcohol to evaporate by about 50%. This should take approximately 12 hours
- Another quick stir then pour the mixture through your coffee filter paper into a clean bowl. Wring all the liquid content out of the filter paper into the bowl
- Pour the alcohol back through the leaves and repeat the wringing process
- You should now have two cups of tincture, which can be further reduced by boiling if you wish.
For those who can’t use alcohol:
Vinegar or glycerol can be used – as can water – however this is neither as efficient nor pleasant in use.
To use the tincture
Take your marijuana tincture as drops on the tongue or by adding to recipes and drinks.
Any of the medical conditions helped by medical marijuana will respond to tincture but use it sparingly – it is extremely potent. The downside? Well the effects are not quite as long lasting as with other methods of administration but, hey, that’s a very small price to pay when you can have your little bottle with you wherever you go.